Insect repellents are basically poison, so when applying these products, you have to be extremely careful. Even the so-called home-based remedies have to be double checked for their ingredient components unless you prepare them at home yourself.
Top-Rated Chigger Repellent List:
|Sawyer Products SP618||Repellent for clothes||6 washings or 40 days||More Information|
|REPEL HG-94101||Repellent for skin||8 hours||More Information|
|Thermacell TC-24||Traps for yard||6 months||More Information|
|Chig-R-Blok Deet-Free Insect||Bites treatment / Repellent||6-8 hours||More Information|
|Humco Chigg-Away, The Soldier's Choice||Bites treatment / Repellent||Reapply after heavy perspiration||More Information|
Now, as with all biological substances, there are specific applications that work for focused target groups, this means that one replant will not work for every type of insect. As such, you need to consider the insects that you wish to deter and focus your purchase and application on that specific product.
In general, there are three main replants ingredients for most applications and these include Deet, Permethrin, and Picaridin. When applied these last between 4 to 10 hours per application. If you prefer natural remedies, then consider they last around 30 minutes to 2 hours per application.
There are two methods of application; one is the application of the product on clothing and perimeters, the other is a direct application on your skin. Permethrin is one ingredient that is used for applications to clothing and fabrics, and are used to deter mosquitos. If you are wearing clothes, you don’t need to apply a skin-based product on the areas covered by fabric.
Take into account that repellents do not work against stinging insects, such as wasps or bees.
Now let’s take a look at the 5 best chiggers replants on the market today.
Best Chigger Repellent Reviews:
- Top-Rated Chigger Repellent List:
- Best Chigger Repellent Reviews:
- 1. Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent
- 2. REPEL Sportsmen Max Insect Repellent Pump, 6-oz, 12-PK
- 3. Thermacell TC-24 Tick Control Tubes, 24-Count
- 4. Chig-R-Blok Chigger Block Deet-Free Insect, Tick & Mosquitoes Repellent & Treatment Oil, 4 oz
- 5. Humco Chigg-Away, The Soldier’s Choice, Relieves Itching and Repels Chiggers, 4 fl oz (Pack of 2)
Sawyer Permethrin is the best fabric spray on Permethrin product on the market, and it is good for repelling the Yellow Fever Mosquitos that transmits the Zika Virus.
This product is odorless, and with one application you will secure your fabrics integrity to protect you for up to 6 weeks or 6 items of washing, whichever comes first. I also suggest you spray all your camping gear, travel bags, and other fabrics when traveling since this will add to create a protective geofence around you.
If you want to maximize your protection, then don’t just rely on permethrin for your fabrics, also apply the Sawyer Picardin on your exposed skin surfaces. This will provide you with optimum repellant performance.
Active Ingredient: Permethrin (0.5%)
The Repel sportsman is a 40% DEET formula, and when applied on your skin will repel all mosquitoes that may transmit the Chikungunya, Zika, Dengue and West Nile viruses. This is an odorless and non-greasy spray, which adheres to your skin even when perspiring.
Active Ingredients: Deet 40.0%
Thermacell® Tick Control Tubes are for outdoor use and can be safely placed in gardens, or camping sites. These tubes are used to kill deer ticks with Lyme disease, and also reduce the tick population.
These are biodegradable tubes that are registered with the EPA. As such, they do not harm kids, pets, or the environment when applied according to the instructions.
- Brand Name: Thermacell
- Dimensions: 12 pk
- Shipping Dimensions: 10.5” H x 6.0” W x 3.54” D
- Shipping Weight: 1.0 lbs.
This is a natural repellant, using only naturally found ingredients and comes in two varieties. This product repels insects as well as treats existing bites and rashes.
The Chig-R-Blok is designed to repel chiggers, ticks, and mosquitoes. It is also useful to apply when touched by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac as it helps with the skin’s repair.
The difference between Chig-R-Blok Oil and Chig-R-Blok Balm is in the core application ingredient. The Balm uses a vegetable wax, which makes it easier to apply to the skin, and the balm is also more beneficial in treating rashes and inflammations.
Ingredients, (as stated on the products)
Chig-R-Blok Oil: Cherry Kernel Oil, Shea Oil, Almond Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Neem Oil, Karanja Oil, Organic Evening Primrose Oil, Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil, Geranium Essential Oil, Carrot Seed Essential Oil, Patchouli Essential Oil, Lemon Eucalyptus Essential Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Rosemary Essential Oil And Non-GMO Vitamin E.
Chig-R-Blok Balm: Cherry Kernel Oil, Shea Oil, Almond Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Neem Oil, Karanja Oil, Organic Evening Primrose Oil, Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil, Geranium Essential Oil, Carrot Seed Essential Oil, Patchouli Essential Oil, Lemon Eucalyptus Essential Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Rosemary Essential Oil and Non-GMO Vitamin E, Candelilla Wax.
5. Humco Chigg-Away, The Soldier’s Choice, Relieves Itching and Repels Chiggers, 4 fl oz (Pack of 2)
This is a Deet free formula that is used the military including the army, marines, and Navy Seals. It is a perfect product for use by campers, hikers, backpackers, hunters and, well just about anyone that is outdoors.
This product is made of 5% Benzocaine; 10% Precipitated Sulfur USP, and when applied will work over 4 hours. The list of insects this product relieves the pain of the bite includes chiggers (redbugs), mosquitoes, ticks, sand fleas, no-see-ums, biting flies, fire ants, bees, wasps, and swimmers itch. IAs a repellant, it works against chiggers only.
Tips for Using Repellents Safely
When applying insect repellants follow these tips:
- Always read the label of the product and follow the manufacturer’s directions and take heed of the precautions too.
- When applying these products to children, make sure you apply them only on fabrics that cover skin and exposed skin surfaces. Always remember that Permethrin must not be applied to the skin.
- When using a spray, make sure the area is well aerated, preferably outdoors If you need to spray indoors, open windows and doors. Do not let anyone into a sealed room after spraying; this will lead to death.
- Do not over apply, especially for Applying more than indicated will not provide extra protection, and only re-apply as directed.
- Do not let children touch these products, and do not let them apply them.
- Wash your hands after applying these products, and also wash your child’s hand after applying, because in most instances they tend to touch the skin while the product is still wet. Also, always wash your exposed skin after you return from the outdoors.
- DO NOT apply these products to babies under 3 months old.
- DO NOT spray directly to the face. Spray on your hands and apply to the face.
- DO NOT apply these products on rashes, open cuts or wounds.
- DO NOT apply Deet with sunscreen, Deet reduces the effectivity of the UPF formula and could lead to sunburn.